Friday 10 June 2011

Week 3 Sculpture


 
I spent some time carefully thinking about text is used within other day to day places, such as notice boards, posters and maps. Using some magnetic letters I already had I began creating shapes and countries from a map, I could really see this idea going much further. Seen from the picture on the left, I used the letters from the country to create the shape. I really liked this idea and couldn't wait to take it further. Therefore have been spending the last 3 days slowly vacuuming forming letters and filling the moulds with plaster. Although this has become a slow and annoying process, the results are really pleasing and has taught me how to create the perfect consistence of plaster and how to use the vacuum former, a key skill I can always look back on and use. I cant wait to start assembling my countries with the hundreds of letters I have moulded and created.
After popping out all my plaster letters, I had to fill down the edges of each letter I found this to be quite a time consuming process, however I did get a nice sense of achievement as I completed each letter. I found the letters alone make quite an interesting and iconic piece of art on there own. I may work on this idea a little later within the project. The next stage is decide on the scale, measurements and sizes from the final piece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment