Thursday 10 March 2011

Week 1: Printing


Today was my first printing lesson, I started off by trying to get inspired, I did some research in print makers and came across this awesome piece of work by Tom Hammick, Motorway Trees, monotype.









I loved the use of nature and the mix of collage and print. I partially liked the simple look to image, and the composition of the tress placed behind the fence.
I starting etching a dried thistle I had pervious sketched in my sketch book. I found this experience was really interesting. I had never done etching before, although I think I picked up the method quite quickly using a vary of different materials to make a mark. Below I placed my etched out metal plate. 
















To create this image I used a  fine sheet of aluminium, using with some sharp tool like shovels to cut out my image onto the plate. The curved out image will area that will be printed onto paper.
Before printing I had to soak my paper in water, and inked up my sheet. Using small piece of card I scraped the ink onto my sheet of aluminium and  applied it into the groves of the metal. Then  whipped of the excess ink to apply in the cuts of the metal even more. Lastly clean scrum is then used to clean off the edges of the plate and the areas that are wanted white. Below I have placed my final print of the thistle
















I used a heavy etching press to enable produce a nice looking print. The heavy pressure forced  the paper into the metal groves and inked the marks onto the paper. Overall I was really pleased with the final print I tried maybe different dry point with different amounts or ink and pressure

No comments:

Post a Comment