Wednesday 24 November 2010

Week 2 Art

At the beginning of this class we were set a task to go and collect and make rubbings from outside. I have a passion for typography therefore a lot of my rubbings were type or bold, harsh objects such as trees, stone and brickwork.
After this, using objects from outdoors we created mini sculptures, mine was made from a bottle top, twigs and pine cone. This is seems very simple and boring, very pre school like. I didn't like where this project was going and struggled get the enthusiasm I needed to create a bold strong piece reflecting my media.However using my rubbings I managed to create many collages of my natural sculpture. I used black paper to create tone and shadow within my images, and white paper to create highlights.Overall I was pleased with my final pieces. I created three images which made a nice set and worked well together with similar tone used throughout and the intricate detail to each piece. 


Although I didn't enjoy this exercise as much as I had anticipated, I did like the idea of making an image out of collage espically the fact that i had created the the media used for the collage. However this exercise did lead me onto a great find of Christian Holstad, whom is an artist that deal manly in textured work and collage. 
















Christian Holstad was born in 1972 and his work is highly shown in Europe and Japan. His work is often highly detailed; made from many different medias mixed into one image such as drawing, collage and needlework. 













No comments:

Post a Comment