Tuesday 25 January 2011

Art: Research

Today I have been working on my research file. Throughout the drawing and painting workshops I have been jotting down different artists and pieces of work that have inspired or interested me. However today I decide to research much further into this. I was unaware how excitng this would become. I coulda help but share some of the gorgous pieces I found throughout my research.


Devendra Banhart












I adore Devendra Banharts work, I was really drawn into his childlike little drawings. His work is very much inspired from when he is travelling on tour with his bands. He creates many different eccentric characters within his work. His passion for music works parallel within his art work.

Marcel Dzama



























Dzama also works extensively in sculpture, painting, collage, and film. Dzama's work has been used on the covers of a number of albums, notably The Else by They Might Be Giants, Guero by Beck and Reconstruction Site by The Weakerthans. His work looks very childish with bold block colours, very illustrative. At a glance his work looks fun and exciting however look deeper in to the image and he has a more darker side with characters holding guns and smoking. 

Ghada Amer















She is seen as a bit of a feminist. Her work is very contemporary. She is living and working in New York City. Much of her work deals with issues of gender and sexuality, particularly the representation of female nudes in art history as ideal objects rather than human beings with a sexuality and eroticism of their own.

Peter Doig














Peter Doig is a very contemporary artist. Themes running threw his work are that of magical realism stream, capturing timeless moments of perfect tranquillity, where photo-album memory flits in and out of waking dream. Many of Doig's pictures are landscapes, very abstract, with a number harking back to the snowy scenes of his childhood in Canada. Doig’s landscapes are splendidly layered formally and conceptually, and draw on assorted artists from art history, including Edvard Munch and Klimt.

No comments:

Post a Comment